Addie's Hope

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Well God put in my place this Thanksgiving. As of the beginning of November no one was coming here for Thanksgiving and we were not traveling either (mom's surgery, Brent's schedule, etc.). So our plan was to go to the Hilton for brunch. No cooking, no cleaning....just food and football! About a week before Thanksgiving Brent's cousin and his boys were invited to our home for Thanksgiving by extended family's request. So that meant I had to cook. Igrumbled and got pissy about it.....I even thought about letting Kroger's or HEB do it for me. I was not finding joy in this great occasion. But something came over me and I mustered up the energy and patience to work this out. Shopping at 6 am the Wed. before Thanksgiving, I had the thought that I am going to just have to give it my all and make what I can make....although in the back of my head there was a voice saying it won't be like MIL's cooking or Aunt B's cooking.
But I did it! I am proud to say that I had a relaxing day in the kitchen making all the favorite foods for the big day! It seemed to all fall into place - the preparation, the cooking, and the food. (It does help to have a double oven!) We even had some great conversation over the meal and Brent got to hang out with his cousin and get the scoop on A&M football and the coaching situation.
We has mostly traditional foods: turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes (yummy!), green bean bundles, broccoli rice cheese casserole, potato rolls, cranberry sauce.... and some nontraditional additions - red wine margaritas!
I was able to end this great day visiting my friend's newborn baby boy all by myself - no sharing! It was great. God really showed me that I can find joy in the little things and it is great to have the ability and means to cook for friends and family. It was a great Thanksgiving afterall.

No comments: